IPTV services come with their advantages and limitations. This applies to even the best IPTV server.
Pros of IPTV
- The internet protocol based platform is able to integrate TV with other IP- dependent services such as high speed internet access and voice over internet protocol (VoIP).
- IPTV promises delivery of a significant amount of more content and functionality. As a switches IP network, IPTV works differently. The content resides within the network and just the content the user selects is sent to the user’s home. Hence, freeing up the bandwidth and lifting any limitations dependent on the size of the “pipe” into the home. This is in contrast to a typical TV network which uses broadcast video technology. In this setting, all the content goes downstream to each customer and the customer changes the content at the set-top box. The user is able to select from multiple choices from the content the provider is pumping into the “pipe” going to the user’s home. This method is lacking as the user’s choice of content is dependent on the size of the “pipe” going into the user’s home.
- There are notable opportunities to ensure that the TV viewing experience is personalized and more interactive. The provider mostly includes an interactive program guide that permits users to search for content based on the title or name of a featured actor. An interface is provided for a picture in picture functionality that permits the users to peruse other channels without actually leaving the main channel they are watching. This feature enables users to look up the stats of a player while still watching a sports game.
- IPTV services come with an interactive feature that allows users to access media such as photos or music from their personal computers on their TVs; change parent controls so that their children can watch documentary for a school report while they are not home; or use a wireless phone to plan a recording of their favorite show.
- The availability of video on demand on television allows users to browse a film catalog or online program. This allows the users to watch upcoming movie trailers and click on a selected recording. Inorder to avoid piracy, the VoD content is usually encrypted. The encryption can be viewed as a form of Digital rights management.
- IPTV provides the opportunity of convergence and integration. These features can be enhanced using IMS-based solutions. IPTV alleviates the need to operate parallel infrastructure to deliver live video sources.
Cons of IPTV
- The switched IP mode of IPTV allows room for compromise of the user’s privacy. It might provide a means to disrupt the private network of the user.
- Streaming of IPTV across wireless connections could be frustrating due to complications with multipath and reflections of the FF signal carrying the IO data packets. This can be related to the sensitivity of IPTV streams to packets’ arrival at the appropriate time land order. Users stream IPTVon wired connections due to these limitations.